Sunday, August 28, 2011

Ethnocentrism - Sierra Armstrong

A way that I have been subject to ethnocentrism is my religion compared to others religions. I thought that my religion was right and others were wrong. I started to think that way when the Middle East were portrayed as the "bad guys" by the media and the country. I thought that everything about them was wrong especailly their religion. I didn't know why they acted and thought that way. It wasn't until I grew up and had my own thoughts about all religions that I started to realize that mine wasn't better it was just different. I didn't understand their religions so I started to read about them.

Anthropologists are supposed to stay open about cultures that they are studying and observing. They are not supposed to provide them with anything. In Richard Borshay Lee's culture the biggest and strongest is usually always the best. So he assumed that the same was true in the Twasana tribes. He didn't stay open about the Twasana tribe. He thought they were the same as his culture.

When Chagnon went to study the Yanomamo he figured that he would go the these people and get the answers that he was looking for. It would be done quick and easy as if he was going to any other person in his culture to get answers. That is how it usually works for us. In the Yanomamo culture you have to be "let in" to their culture. You have to get to know and earn their respect before the talk to you openly.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about how the media and our country portrayed the Middle East as "bad guys". It's important to read in to things to come up with your on feelings on an issue(like you did).

    ReplyDelete