Sunday, August 28, 2011

Ethnocentrism, by Khala Flanagan

To me, these two reports from real anthropologists shed so much light and reality on what it means to be an “anthropologist on Mars”, as Dr. Grandin describes it. As the saying goes, you don’t know how good you have it until it’s gone. When someone becomes accustomed to their daily luxuries and comforts, and then is suddenly transported into a completely different world when he or she is denied those things, the natural reaction IS to react with indifference and confusion. Furthermore, when new anthropologists come into contact with people so culturally, physically, and mentally different from themselves, they might probably ask the same question Dr. Chagnon asked himself: “What in the world am I doing here?!”

I found these two reports both enlightening and humorous, but they also depicted the stark reality of a people extremely different (and difficult) to their authors. Although they went into their work field with good intentions as anthropologists, they couldn’t help but be ethnocentric when faced with hard cultural challenges… and I don’t blame them! In the beginning of Richard Lee’s report, he describes his predicament very honestly and truthfully. He isn’t attacking the Bushmen for their attitudes towards him; he’s simply stating the facts. As the story went on, however, I found myself falling into the same trap of feeling somewhat ethnocentric towards those who kept tormenting the poor guy for his mistake. “Give him a break!” I was saying to myself. “He’s trying to do something nice for you!” But in the end, the truth comes out, and I was so amazed at the logic behind the Bushmen’s custom. The unique way they install the spirit of humility is very abrasive… but it works! Dr. Lee couldn’t understand why the natives were picking on him so ruthlessly, especially at Christmastime. Yet, he wanted to make something of himself with a lot of fanfare by celebrating a meal; the Bushmen, however, turned his tables and made him realize the mistake of his intentions.


Dr. Chagnon’s report was a great read, even if the grossness of the Yanomamo was a little disturbing! His anticipated reaction before meeting them was that they would adopt him into their tribe and eagerly want to tell them their genealogy (the purpose of his work). He soon found out that not only did the natives constantly bully him into giving up his supplies, but they made his work extremely frustrating by refusing to tell them their true names (since that was taboo according to their culture). He asked himself why on earth would they treat him like this, after all he’s doing to learn about their ways. But eventually, he realized that not all cultures abide by the golden rule like ours does. He learned to adapt to their ways and meet them on their level when it came to individual rights and personal boundaries. I don’t blame him one bit for at first being appalled and completely discouraged in his work! But I also admire Dr. Chagnon’s spirit of endurance and patience in trying to understand a harshly different group of human beings. One part of Dr. Chagnon’s report really hit home for me:


When I reached Bisaasiteri, Rerebawä was in his own village visiting his kinsmen. Word reached him that I had returned, and he paddled downstream immediately to see me. He greeted me with an immense bear hug and exclaimed, with tears welling up in his eyes, ‘Shaki! Why did you stay away so long? Did you not know that my will was so cold while you were gone that I could not at times eat for want of seeing you again?’ I, too, felt the same way about him—then, and now.


I think this part shows that despite our natural tendency to side with ethnocentrism, all cultures believe that relationships with others are vital to existence.

I think there was one time when I had ethnocentric thoughts floating around in my head. I was watching a film called “The Inn of 6th Happiness”, and it was about a British missionary worker in China just before WWII. During her first day walking around the streets of the village, she was completely confused why the women were yelling and chasing her because she helped an injured little girl, and then stumbles across a public execution which horrifies her. The locals, likewise, distrust her and refuse to come to her inn. I felt the same way she did, baffled and puzzled why the Chinese were so different and how she was just trying to help them. But eventually, she learned to accept and adapt to the Chinese, succeeding in her mission and saving many lives because of her willingness to become one of them. The movie also showed me that deep down inside, we all are human beings and very much alike in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment