Friday, August 26, 2011

Ethnocentrism - Samma Pilson

 My mother taught me from an early age to respect all cultures. "You're no better than anyone else, don't ever forget that," she would say, not unkindly. I always had access to the National Geographic as well as Smithsonian magazines and I would spend hours reading them two and three times. I always saw myself as objective to other cultures, bristling whenever someone would insult people different from our own society. Yet, after 9/11, I failed myself and my mother when I joined other Americans in disliking, even hating Arabs, Muslim and non-Muslim alike. I simply did not understand their culture or their reason for doing all the heinous acts I saw them carrying out. I had never taken the time to study their history or religion nor did I care to at that point. I simply grouped them all into one category and assumed that everyone in the middle east meant us ill will. Somewhere along the line I snapped out of my poisonous thinking. They're people, too, I thought. They have families, men dying in the war, just like Americans. After some research, I came away with a better understanding of the situation. 


In the article Doing Fieldwork Among the Yanomamo, Napoleon Chagnon assumed that the "primitive men" that he was going to live with were simple minded. He thought that he would be readily welcomed because of his sophisticated tools and fancy wardrobe. He assumed that he could just show up, talk to some people, get the information he was looking for, and come home with a complete understanding of the Yanomamo. When he got there, he slowly realized that life would be drastically different from living in the US. No doubt he assumed he would be going on a simple camping excursion for a few months. The Yanomamo took advantage of his ignorance, seeing how far they could push him. He was unprepared for their culture of brutal politics, and for their lifestyle, which did not accommodate his usual hygienic practices. Instead of being an honored guest, as he expected, he was seen as a subhuman outsider. It wasn't until he came to understand their culture and immerse himself in it that he was able to gain respect from the Yanomamo.

Eating Christmas in the Kalahari proved to be a somewhat different article. Unlike Chagnon, Richard Lee knew something about the culture that he placed himself above. He understood their customs and practices, however he failed to see how what he perceived as generosity would be seen as arrogance within their culture. When he bought the largest ox, he assumed that he would be to them as Santa Claus on Christmas. As he was derided for his choice of ox, he became disillusioned, and could not understand why these people he had thought were his friends would treat him so. At one point, he even vowed to spend Christmas away from them. During all of this, he did not realize that the bushmen were actually bringing him into their culture, and that he was being treated as they treat their own. The arrogance he had concerning his own culture caused him to oversee the valuable lesson the Kung were teaching him.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both men really did show arrogance, believing they were somewhat better than these tribal cultures. In reality, both men had so much to learn, and I like to think they did learn a valuable lesson. It isn't always easy to learn about a new culture and not feel ethnocentric, of course you're going to assume your culture is better sometimes. What makes a better anthropologist though is that you don't become ethnocentric, but see the new culture as a whole, and how things just are.
    I have to agree with you concerning the Middle Eastern culture, I really had a grudge against those guys because my father had to be deployed shortly after 9/11. Everything about those people made me angry, though not every single person was evil. There were kids and wives who lost their fathers and husbands to the war, just like many American families, but I didn't consider that. Your description of "poisonous thinking" really struck me, but that's exactly how our thought process was. Your mother was one wise woman by the way, I'm really going to remember that throughout this semester whenever we learn about some new, strange, or exotic culture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a way I was raised not to judge any other culture, but at the same time, like you, I find reasons within the news and other media to have predjudice toward the middle east.. I just have to remember the fact that not ALL of the middle east agrees or believes in the dictating ways of their own country. You bring up a really good comparison about Richard Lee hoping he would become somewhat of a Santa Claus to the primitive people. As I read that story I felt so sorry for him, because I thought they were really disappointed in the ox. However, when I found out it was a sort of joke, as well as a virtue among their culture, I smiled a little and had a little more appreciation for the story. I was grateful to have read that lesson. The Yanomamo were quite different than the !Kung bushmen, as they were not as quick to accept Chagnon into their culture, and tried to take advantage of him like you mentioned. These are really good pieces of the context that were important to me when I was reading the story to understand why I was reading it in the first place, so thank you for putting it into better words than I could've..

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was growing up my parents would always try to lecture me about not judging others based off there culture. It is incredibly hard to not want to go against that now at the age that I am. The news makes everything worse then what it is and focuses on the same thing causes others to judge. As someone already touched on with there own experience, my husband just returned from his 15th deployment. Its very difficult to not hold a grudge to the middle east. As a result of them my husband is away from his family for months at a time. He has missed out on so much of the kids lives as a result. Hearing some of the stories about things that take place over there try;y does sadden me. Its not everyone over there that I dislike. Women and Children are pulled in front of men to save there own lives. Its truly sad.
    On to another note, Great right up, very detailed and I like how you touched on everything including your own personal feelings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sammma,

    I was very curious to see if anybody would remark about the Middle East and 9/11 in regards to ethnocentrism. I was a little girl when those tragic events occurred, and I didn’t understand what was going on. My Dad was in the Special Forces for 20 years, and what I learnt about the culture of the Middle East, I learnt from him. When I asked him why those people would do something like that, he answered very solemnly that they believed it was right. Their religion and their culture believes that they are required to sacrifice their lives to kill others in the name of their god. As I got older, he described to me further about how children were even trained to be assassins and what lengths terrorists will take to destroy lives. Of course, I was frightened and appalled by such an idea… but the most important thing my father told me was that we are ALL human beings, and no one is completely evil, even if they are misled or radically different from us. God designed, created, and loves EVERYONE, and we are all His children in His eyes.

    ReplyDelete