Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Final Discussion, Dawn Depouli

What will you take from this class? In thinking about your response, you may want to address the following questions:
What did you find most interesting? Least interesting?
What did you learn that you feel will help you in other courses, your career, or your life in general?

What makes anthropology interesting is the capacity to understand culture and make you more “understand” other culture. That makes one respect other culture and avoid the greatest sin in anthropology - being ethnocentric - the belief that ones culture is the more superior than others. It make a person accepting, so to speak.
Aside from this, when one knows the basic understanding and appreciation of culture study you will appreciate other people more. Even just sitting down at a café and observing how people do their things is an example of methods in anthropology.Most interesting to me was learning about how things are still in place today, we just don't think of them in the terms that we were taught in this class. There wasn't really much that I didn't enjoy. I had a very tough semester in general with medical so I can only hope that I took in the information the way I needed to.
Although I won't need this class for my career or degree I always had a strong desire to learn about cultures other than my own and I wanted to gain an understanding of the world that might help me teach others. It really interests me to know just how things truly started out. A degree in anthropology can open countless doors to many careers. Majors can continue their studies and pursue advanced degrees, conduct research, write ethnographies, and become professors. Majors can also apply anthropology to numerous fields. Observation and analytical skills prove to be useful in almost any situation. The ethnographic method intrigues students. If anthropology interests you, negative views and assumptions should not discourage you. A liberal arts education of any kind does not necessarily have to relate in any way to your future career; it is simply a way of teaching you to think critically and gain knowledge of an area of study in depth.


I enjoyed the semester and thank you for your time

No comments:

Post a Comment