Saturday, November 12, 2011

Racial and Ethnic Privelege, Sam Stangl

As a white girl I am extremely priveleged, and aware of it. I am considered an "average American" by many people, no matter what their race or ethnicity, and people who are not white often look at me as if I think I am better than them. The truth is, I don't think I'm better than anyone, or that anyone is better than me. I may be either more or less talented than some people; but as far as being a "better person," I do not think of myself that way. I do, in a way, relate to "White Privlege" just because I am white, but although I have a supportive family and I get good grades in school, I am unable to find jobs because (without sounding racist, I hope...) hispanics have many of the entry-level positions available that I could qualify for. This tells me that I am not more priveleged than them at all;what you get out of life is up to you as an individual not your race.

...As a German, I have been considered just a "white girl." But I also have a lot of Polish genes, and even some Native American (Cherokee) Indian genes. Because of the European ethnicity that I have, people see me as stingy, priss and proper, but also as wild, down to earth, and smart. I don't understand what these concepts have to do with my ethnicity, but it is obvious what people think of me when they see me, or even meet me. The small bit of Native American in me makes me very close to animals and nature, and very intimate with earth, wind, and water.

...I prefer to keep my sexual orientation to myself, but I do think that heterosexuals are not always more priveleged than homosexuals. In some places they may of course be, where gay marriage is illegal, for instance, but in other places they dominate areas and everything in them, and being straight is just plain odd. The other places left are melting pots of homo- and heterosexuality, structured into an equalized opportunity for both sexual preferences. In "Heterosexual Privelege," the list seemed to be very accurate about how comfortable and how easy it is to be a straight person. But don't people understand that homosexuals, whether this lifestyle is chosen by them or for them, are comfortable in their skin as well, and comfortable in their partner if they have one? Don't people see that these people deserve not to be treated differently in any way? And what about bisexuality...? There are too many people in the world who follow through with either one of these three sexual orientations and judge others who do not choose the same route. But then you're getting made fun of behind your back by the same people you were just making fun of.
It doesn't make sense to me to feel like you can't amount to something that a white person can if you're not white, or something a heterosexual person can if you're homosexual.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing that one can be judged when they see your skin color or hear about your heritage. It is a shame that this occur's, but it is slowly changing I think. Sexuality is a preference that should never be a means of judging someone, it is so shallow and disrepectful. Culture is all about respect, and everyone deserves that.

    ReplyDelete