Sunday, November 13, 2011

Privilege

Though few will admit it the are certain privileges that people gain in the work place based on their race, gender, and sexuality. A man is normally more likely to be picked for a job or promotion then a woman. Same thing goes for a white man over a black man. Sexuality also plays a role in how someone is treated in the workplace. Homosexuals are normally harassed based their sexuality in the work place. For me I have never had a manager that was unfair to people of other races, gender, or sexuality. So I can say in my experience that I've never witnessed the biased behavior.

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely correct. In my experience, many White people refute the concept of White privilege because they don't want to be wrong. In this case, being wrong (in other words, acknowledging that White privilege indeed exists and is active in our country) forces them to admit that discrimination still exists. And in turn, if discrimination still exists, it blows the whole idea of what social psychologists call "belief in a just world" to pieces since discrimination and racism directly contradict notions of justice. We all would like to believe that we deserve the good things we receive, but if I were a White person (more specifically, a White person who actually took the time and effort to honestly examine the benefits of being White in America), a lot of things I assumed I'd earned on my own merit alone would be called into question.

    ReplyDelete