Sunday, October 2, 2011

Marriage

My understanding of marriage has not changed, I just accept more forms of it. Everyone has their own reasons for marriage even here in the US. I find it interesting that the divorce rate in India is so low, but learning that the relationship is not only between man and wife, but family to family it makes sense. They have a bigger support system riding on the success of the relationship. As far as looking at marriage from a historical perspective, I believe that we learn from our mistakes in history. Making marriage so low on the hierarchial totum pole wasn't good for anyone, and so our ideals have changed and will change as time goes on. I am just fine with gay marriage and would welcome the idea that anyone (within legal age) should get married that wants to get married. People need to understand that with marriage comes many issues that non-married couples don't neccesarily have to deal with. Income, taxes, medical emergencies, divorce...all these things are going to be part of the issues. Honestly two gay people marrying isn't hurting me or devaluing my marriage at all, so let them go for it. I think that as a culture we can learn from other cultures, especially Indian, how to value one another and really make a support system for marriage so the our divorce rate isn't so high.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is understandable that India would have a low rate of divorce with having more family support to make a marriage successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I never really knew just how many forms of marriage there were till this topic. It amazes me.
    The divorce rates being so low in India, to me are understandable. I believe that the divorce rate is so high in the US because of Military. My husband is military and you could see a couple together one month and then the next there not. You would never see it coming, they say military has the highest divorce rates.

    ReplyDelete