Thursday, September 22, 2011

Potlatches

A potlatch is a big meal that the Native Americans have in the northwest. It is a dinner that everyone is invited to as they celebrate dancing, eating, gift giving, and singing. It expresses the generosity of their tribe. This would be much similar to Thanksgiving in my family. Everyone from both sides of my family come over to my house for a big meal and to watch the annual football game on Thanksgiving. Each family member bring over their best dish and we all have a big feast while enjoying each others company. It is similar to a potlatch because it is a large gathering of many people that invokes eating and socializing with one another.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is great! I was wondering if anyone else was going mention one of our big North American holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas! Isn't it funny how "potlatch" sounds like "potluck"???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Khala I totally thought this was potluck at first. It took me reading about it to realize it was something else, which made me feel a little silly, but I wonder if there is any connection between the two words. And I love the idea of thinking about a Native American celebrations, I bet they really know how to party the right way! Even just to be a fly on the wall and watch would be neat, just to see what really goes down.

    ReplyDelete