Saturday, September 10, 2011

Communication and Language Module 4

In today's society to me the world affects the language we use. Because a lot of to today's society is influenced my television so when people hear something different from some where else they automatically assume that's how that certain part of an area acts and talks. I have experienced this first had when i moved to Greece and was the only black kid in my class. I made a lot of friends when I was down there and one thing that i especially remember is one of my close friends told my I act nothing like how they portray Black people on television. He thought that most black people where illiterate and always used slang. He was very surprised when I showed him the total opposite. An it was also a great experience for my because that was one of my moments in life where I could appreciate the saying don't judge a book my it's cover more.

2 comments:

  1. That would be quite an experience to have in Greece, just being there as an American tourist would be weird! That's good though you still made friends though, even if they thought you were a little different at first.

    The outside world really does affect the development of our language. A young child typically learns how to speak based on what he or she learns from parents and grandparents, since that's where they get the most exposure. Just because a person speaks a little differently from what the more "acceptable" form of language is doesn't mean what they're saying less important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As sreynolds said, children do typically learn what they hear from the moment they are born. With that said though it doesn't make them less important but there are higher chances of it affecting there education despite that fact that it shouldn't. I worked with children in the school system that needed additional help because there only language they spoke was spanish. It truly did affect there learning experience in the school system

    ReplyDelete