Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chapter 4 Language

I think that people's concept of reality is shaped by language. People in their own cultures tend to have similar views on topics, which is what makes a culture. Some people thought that Ebonics was less important to teach than Standard English. They stressed that it was inferior and they related Ebonics to lower class, unintelligible social groups. Soon most people started seeing Ebonics in the same light.
I think that the way we see the world affects the way we see certain languages. I see Paris, France as this beautiful, romantic place. So I associate speaking and listening to French as beautiful and a romantic language. I see the Country accent in America homey, comforting, and relaxed. I like this accent opposed to the New York accent. I think that is sounds obnoxious and rude. People in that culture may not be rude and obnoxious but that's how I perceive them because of the way I see their accent.

1 comment:

  1. I like your examples of how you view the different languages. I never really looked at it that way but now that you have said it you can't help but to try and compare it with what you think of the individual locations. But.. with that being said you can't always judge a book by its cover. We automatically assume that when someone has a New York accent that they are rude but in reality they are very friendly.

    ReplyDelete