Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ethnocentrlism, Abbey Dahl

Articles Eating Christmas in Kalahari by Richard Lee and Doing Fieldwork Among the Yanamamo by Napoleon Chagnon are both fascinating stories of ethnocentrlism. Between the two articles, Eating Christmas in Kalahari by Richard Lee was the article with a lesson that should be adapted everywhere. Humility is almost a rare characteristic in current society. Most individuals grow up expecting some sort of reward for doing well on a test, cleaning one's room, or washing the dishes. Personally, I have never been belittled for doing my own laundry. Richard Lee had lived among the Bushman tribe for an allotted amount time before he learned one of the most significant beliefs of the tribe. He bought a huge ox, and just like most people he was expecting a compliment from the people of the tribe, but unfortunately was constantly criticized about the size of the ox. I felt so bad for him because all he was trying to do was give something back to a community which gave so much culture to him. Once he and the reader realized their outlook on arrogance, it was all clear that they were just treating him as an actual tribal member which was much appreciated. So both parties were simply expressing their own ways that they had been raised. Both enthocentrlisms were tested and Lee gained a lesson that he will hopefully remember for a long time.
Napoleon's article Doing Fieldwork Among the Yanomamo was far more intense than the other article. There is a certain saying in Buddhism that is something along the lines of, "to gain something, you must lose everything,". This is the process I felt that Napoleon had to go through to gain something from the Yanomamo people. Napoleon was introduced to this warlike culture of the Yanomamo, and was constantly picking out what he perceived as the negative qualities of the "foot people". He had only been in their community for a few hours when he described the men as, "burly, naked, sweaty," and hideous. When he would not share his food the Yanomamo were most likely insulted because sharing food is a prominent aspect in their culture. Over time he began to accept their regal culture for what it was and let go of all his prejudices. Once he let go of his high ego, he appreciated the culture of the Yanomamo so much more. So essentially, although letting go of one's belief system is difficult, it is that barrier an anthropologist must over come in order for them to gain something from the culture they are studying.
I have always respected other individual's cultures, but inevitably there have been times when I think that my beliefs are better. I have never looked down on the Islamic faith. Before this summer I knew nothing about it. Prior to be reading a book called Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, I just couldn't believe that Islamic woman had to be completely covered, and why they prayed so much. After reading the book, I realized the Islamic faith is one of the most beautiful religions and cultures I have ever read about, and there is so much more to why woman cover their bodies, and praying a lot. I felt terrible afterwards thinking that I had thought these silly things about a wonderful culture.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my family and I moved to Germany we experienced a culture shock. You said that while in Korea you were baffled by the lack of interaction within strangers. Here, that is common. Patriotism is also common and celebrated here. In Germany it is called nationalism and it is frowned upon. Love of country should not be displayed because to them, it is that kind of behavior that lead to the Hitler's regime. To unite on such a massive front is frightening to them.

    I guess my point is that some things that seem totally normal here are taboo in other places around the world. And here I am being ethnocentric myself. Perhaps it's rather that things that are completely normal elsewhere are strange here...because I am sure that as alien as other cultures seem to us, ours seem just as strange to theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that respecting other individuals culture is something that we all struggle with because we do not understand them. Once we find out a further understanding about their culture we begin to be more flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the reference you made to the idea that to gain something you have to lose something. I feel like that is a huge part of trying to overcome being ethnocentric, in some way you are going to have to let go of something you have thought or believed, even if it scares or angers you. You can never truly understand another cultures beliefs until you figure out the meaning behind it, which can be difficult to accept for anyone unprepared for being cultureshocked. You just have to do anything you can to expand your thinking beyond what you've ever thought of doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbey! I agree with you on the islamic culture being a beautiful one. As I wrote in my post I have a dear friend who is of this religion and she has recently moved back over seas. The way that her and her family are so grounded in their belief, made me think my faith and how I could be more strong in my own! As for what you said about lee and how he just wanted to be respected by the bushmen and their culture. I believe it was so much more rewarding to find out that he was being treated as one of the people of the culture, than to have "given" or "picked" the strongest ox. This way he knew that the people actually respected him.

    ReplyDelete